MINIMUM PROPERTY REQUIREMENTS (MPR’s) FOR VA LOAN APPRAISALS
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL PROPERTIESVIEW / DOWNLOAD FLYER
- Each living unit must have the space necessary to assure suitable living, sleeping, cooking and dining accommodations and sanitary facilities.
- Mechanical Systems must be safe to operate, be protected from destructive elements, have reasonable future utility, durability and economy and have adequate capacity and quality.
- Heating must be adequate for healthful and comfortable living conditions. Homes with a wood burning stove as a primary heating source must also have a permanently installed conventional heating system that maintains a temperature of at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit in areas with plumbing.
- Each unit must have domestic hot water, a continuing supply of safe and potable water for drinking and other household uses, sanitary facilities and a safe method of sewage disposal.
- Properties with a private well will require a water quality test performed by the Health Authority or a licensed sanitary engineer.
- The appraiser must be able to view the roof. The roof covering must prevent entrance of moisture, and provide reasonable future utility, durability and economy of maintenance. When a defective roof with three or more layers of shingles must be replaced, all old shingles must first be removed.
- The crawl space must have adequate access and be clear of all debris and be properly vented. The floor joists must be sufficiently above the highest level of the ground to provide access for maintenance and repair of ductwork and plumbing. Any excessive dampness or ponding of water in the crawl space must be corrected. Ventilation of structural spaces such as attics and crawl spaces must be provided to reduce the affect of excess heat and moisture.
- The property must be free of hazards which may adversely affect the health and safety of the occupants, adversely affect the structural soundness of the dwelling or impair the customary use and enjoyment of the property by the occupants.
- Defective conditions that are unacceptable include defective construction, poor workmanship, evidence of continuing settlement, excessive dampness, leakage, decay and termites (in which case VA will require an inspection of the property by a wood destroying insect inspector.)
- Lead-based paint constitutes an immediate hazard that must be corrected unless testing shows that lead is not present in the paint at a level above that permitted by law.
- If the property has a shared well it must be capable of providing a continuous supply of safe and potable water to each property simultaneously, so that each dwelling will be assured enough water for all domestic purposes. There must be a permanent easement which allows access for maintenance and repair. There must be a well sharing agreement which makes reasonable and fair provisions for maintenance and repair of the system and sharing those costs. It must be binding upon the signatory parties and their successors in title and it must be recorded in local deed records.
- Manufactured homes must be properly attached to a permanent foundation system which is constructed to withstand both supporting loads and wind overturning loads and is acceptable to the building authority having jurisdiction.
- Any frayed or exposed electrical wire must be repaired.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL PROPERTIES ALONG WITH UNIQUE PROPERTIES AS WELL, PLEASE CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW TO DOWNLOAD OUR FLYER. THANK YOUVIEW / DOWNLOAD FLYER